Workshop with Janet B
Storage Solutions – make an attractive fabric storage basket
Date: Saturday October 2nd, 2021
Venue: Youth in Romsey (map)
Time: 10am – 12.30pm
This workshop is suitable for beginners and those of you with some experience of sewing who are looking to learn a new skill. The shape is given to the basket by boxing the corners. Once you have mastered this skill you will be able to use it again and again to create and give shape to a whole range of accessories and products for your home.
Please email: email@example.com to book a place and for payment details.
Payment and refund policy:
A £10 deposit is required to secure your place and is non-refundable should you wish to cancel. Please make the full payment by Saturday 25th September (one week before the workshop) and note that it is non-refundable after this time. Failure to make full payment by this date will mean that your place is offered on. You may transfer your booking to another person at any time before the workshop date. In the unlikely event there are insufficient bookings for the workshop to be viable I will notify you by Thursday September 30th (2 days prior to the workshop) and refund all fees immediately.
Class size: 8
Skills you will learn:
- Simple pattern layout
- Cutting out
- Use of iron-on wadding
- Using straight stitch and the seam guide on your sewing machine
- Sewing a plain seam
- Boxing corners
- Bagging out (a process where two pieces of fabric are stitched right sides together then when you turn them through the right way the seam allowance is trapped between the two pieces on the inside creating a neat finish to your product)
- Clipping and grading seams
- Using the iron for a professional finish
What to bring:
Please note: the cost of the iron-on wadding is included in the class fee. I will also have some fabrics available at an additional cost of £4. If you wish to choose your own fabric to fit your colour scheme at home, then the following will be required:
- Fabric: Please choose woven cotton fabrics. You will need 40cms of 120cm or 150cm wide fabric for both the outer fabric and contrast lining.
- Matching thread
- Sewing machine, if you have one. There will be some machines available, but it is good to become familiar with your own.
Sewing equipment, I will bring everything you need, but you might like to bring any basic sewing things that you have.