Date: Saturday 18th June 2022 – Please contact to book your place,
Venue: Youth in Romsey (map).
Time: 10am – 4pm
Cost: £40 (everyone will receive one commercial top pattern)
This is an opportunity for those fairly new to sewing, or those who want to improve their skills, to learn how to use a commercial dressmaking pattern. You will make top, as shown below. Details of what to bring are further down, however, if you have any questions then please ask.
Please email: Jan.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07753261300 to book a place and for payment details.
Payment and refund policy
A £10 deposit is required to secure your place and is non-refundable should you wish to cancel. Please make full payment of £40 by Saturday 11th June (one week before the workshop), and note it is non-refundable after this time. Failure to make full payment by this date will mean your place is offered on. However, you may transfer your booking onto another person at any time before the workshop date. In the unlikely event there are insufficient bookings for the course to be viable I will notify you by Thursday 16th June (2 days prior to the workshop) and refund all course fees immediately. Please advise the pattern you require when booking.
Class size: 6
Skills you will learn:
- Understanding pattern symbols and fabric terms
- Understanding how to work with woven fabrics, including patterned fabric
- Understanding sizing and taking measurements
- Cutting out
- Adapting pattern to fit
- inserting a sleeve (optional)
- Sewing hems
- Sewing plain/ open seams and learn suitable ways to neaten edges
- Sewing a facing or binding
- Use of interfacing
- Sewing a button fastening
Prior knowledge required
You will be able to:
- Use a sewing machine and be able to stitch fairly accurately
- ALL other skills will be taught at the class
What to bring:
- Sewing machine if you have one – I have some to use but it makes sense to become familiar with your own.
- Sewing equipment – I bring everything we will need but you might like to bring basic sewing things you have. Suggestions can be found here.
- Fabric, as highlighted on the pattern below. A good local store is fabricland in Southampton. Once you have booked your place you will be provided with clear instructions about how to read the pattern information on the envelope back. I can help with sourcing fabric if needed. Please note when looking at the amount to buy do not follow your high street dress size but your actual size, for example if you buy a size 10 in ready to wear clothing then you are likely to be using a size 14 top pattern – I’ll explain why in the workshop!
- Matching thread
- I will provide any required interfacing
- a button, but I have loads too.
- Coffee, tea and biscuits are provided but please bring your lunch.