Date: TBA Please contact to register your interest,
Venue: Youth in Romsey (map).
Time: 10am – 4pm
Cost: £40 (everyone will receive one commercial skirt pattern from the selection below) If you’d rather bring your own pattern I can reduce the workshop cost to £35, however, the pattern must be a simple skirt, with no gathering or pleat detail, and with a low number of pattern pieces (3 or 4). If you’re unsure if your pattern is suitable then please do get in touch to discuss.
This is an opportunity for those fairly new to sewing, or those who want to improve their skills, to learn how to use a commercial dressmaking pattern. You will make skirt, similar to those below. Details of what to bring are further down, however, if you have any questions then please ask.
Please email email@example.com or call 07753261300 to book a place and for payment details.
Payment and refund policy
A £10 deposit is required to secure your place and is non-refundable should you wish to cancel. Please make full payment of £40 by Saturday 1st February (one week before the workshop), and note it is non-refundable after this time. Failure to make full payment by this date will mean your place is offered on. However, you may transfer your booking onto another person at any time before the workshop date. In the unlikely event there are insufficient bookings for the course to be viable I will notify you by Thursday 6th February (2 days prior to the workshop) and refund all course fees immediately. Please advise the pattern you require when booking.
Class size: 8
Skills you will learn:
- Understanding pattern symbols and fabric terms
- Understanding how to work with woven fabrics, including patterned fabric
- Understanding sizing and taking measurements
- Cutting out
- Adapting pattern to fit
- Zip insertion
- OPTIONAL: how to insert a lining (dependent on fabric used), but this does add some work and you may not finish your garment
- Sewing hems
- Sewing plain/ open seams and learn suitable ways to neaten edges
- Sewing a facing or waistband
- Use of interfacing
- Sewing a fastening, e.g. a button or hook and bar
- Sewing darts
Prior knowledge required
You will be able to:
- Use a sewing machine and be able to stitch fairly accurately
- ALL other skills will be taught at the class
What to bring:
- Sewing machine if you have one – I have some to use but it makes sense to become familiar with your own.
- Sewing equipment – I bring everything we will need but you might like to bring basic sewing things you have. Suggestions can be found here.
- Fabric, as highlighted on each individual pattern below. Please note when looking at the amount to buy do not follow your high street dress size but your actual size, for example if you buy a size 10 in ready to wear clothing then you are likely to be using a size 14 skirt pattern – I’ll explain why in the workshop!)
- Lining, if required
- Matching thread
- Suitable fastening
- Coffee, tea and biscuits are provided but please bring your lunch.